Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Must Love: Thrift Stores

Thrift stores are extremely under-valued, if you ask me. I have found so many treasures in thrift stores, so I thought I'd make it a point to show all of you how much you can add to your wardrobe just by digging around at your local Salvation Army. I know that thrift stores smell kinda funny sometimes and that digging through the piles can seem like a hassle, but it's so worth it when you find great statement pieces. The thing is that when you do find something, it's probably going to be precious. The best part is that you'll be finding cute things and will only have to spend a couple of dollars. Here are some of my best finds: 



Vintage purses, handbags, and clutches:

     These are my absolute pride and joy. I love vintage clutches,especially, because they are either beaded, or have adorable closures. I can't take credit for finding all of these because the truth is that a lot of these were a gift from my boyfriend, who is a fiend when it comes to thrifting. Some highlights: I found that legit Moschino shoulder bag at a Goodwill in South Florida. It's one of my best finds. I also really love all of the mesh-y chain bags that I have. I just think that they're really classic and rare, so it's great when you find them. I definitely recommend mixing old and new fashions. A modern shrunken blazer and plasic leggings look chic and classic when you factor in a vintage clutch or satchel. Plus, its amazing that you can get this arm candy for under $5!

 


Vintage Belts:
     Well, if you didn't already know, I love accessorizing with high-waisted belts. Not only are they slimming, but they just add a pop to an otherwise plain outfit. I've gotten all of these belts from thrift stores. Some are from West Palm Beach, others are from Jacksonville and Ocala. They range from real leather and python, to elastic waists. I'm almost certain that none of these cost me over $2.50. Totally worth it! These are probably what I find most frequently when I thrift. I never leave them behind either! If you're weary of trying the high waisted trend, then maybe try a more low-slung belt over a dress or tunic. Once you've faced your fears and have recieved dozens of complements, go for the high waisted, I promise you'll never go back! 

Some other great things I've found at thrift stores:
-Adorable floral bedding
-If you're not creeped out by wearing somebody's old shoes: vintage keds and flats
-Vintage jewelry like pearls, pins, and other baubles
-An amazing fur shawl, photo to be posted later
-Furniture: the furniture in these pictures was purchased from thrift stores here in Gainesville. I really love buying old wood furniture and then painting it a funky color. 

There are thrift stores all around Gainesville, just dig around and you'll start getting a sharp eye eventually. Even I'm not a pro yet. Some of my favorite hotspots here are the Salvation Army on NW 23rd Ave, and also the thrift store in the Tutoring Zone plaza, on Main St. and NW 10th Ave. Even if you don't reside in the 352, give thrifting a try. Just a sidenote, don't be fooled thinking that a "thrift" store is the same as a "vintage" store. A lot of people throw the term around, but you get tricked. Vintage stores are specialty stores where they do the hunting for you, then then charge an arm and a leg for their finds. There's a great selection, but unfortunately you'll be paying a lot more than if you put in the hard work and search around yourself. The great thing about vintage stores though, is that you find great old luxury pieces. All in all, old never gets old. Go thrifting and it'll give you a unique wardrobe that all of your friends will be jealous of, and no one else will have it!

Hope you're inspired!

-Flavia


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am inspired. Let's go thrifting together in the Spring, please =D

Kim Taylor Kruse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Taylor Kruse said...

Amen, sister! I love thrift stores. (But you probably knew that.)

BTW, you looked quite sassy in The Alligator last weed! Too bad they didn't run your blog address next to your photo--could've brought you even more followers.