Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Porta Portese:

Well, a couple weekends back my god-sent Italian professor, Gianfranco, suggested that I check out the Porta Portese flea market here in Rome. I looked it up and it was supposedly legendary, so obvi, I had to go! I gathered up a group of girlfriends and we took the tram to the Porta Portese stop in nearby Trastevere. Let me tell you that this flea market was incredible! It was huge and they had everything that you could ever imagine: books and movies, beads, antiques, old VHS tapes, cooking utensils, random junk, and of course, vintage treasures. Unfortunately, we had limited time at this hidden gem, but I managed to leave with two incredible finds.

These vintage sunnies are just to die for! I had to do some intense bargaining for them but I ended up victorious. I'll have to update you with the designer later, but what I love most about these are the ivory-like color and the gold detailing. I can't lie, I'm obsessed with nude accessories right now.

Is it so wrong to be madly in love with your own wrist? I bought this beautiful vintage pearl bracelet from a little old lady selling random trinkets at the flea market. I think we both connected over our love for flowers and pearls, so she gave me an amazing deal. Did I mention that all of my transactions occured in Italian?

Here's a close-up of the beautiful bauble. The flower petals are an intricate lattice pattern, and I love the massive pearl center.

Needless to say, I had a wonderful time at the Porta Portese flea market. It is a major Roman tradition, occurring Sunday mornings from 6:30am-2:00pm. If you are ever so fortunate to be in Rome on a Sunday morning, trust me, it is so worth visiting!

I am so happy to have had a day of internet access. I am going to try to post as much as I possibly can before our hotel wifi crashes again. Some things to look forward to: yet another finger-shield ring, hello kitty paradise, floral swim caps, and an homage to bows.

A presto!

Flavia

No comments: